The Fusion/Astrophysics TRA is a unique professional development experience that will:
- Deliver content in highly engaging areas of physics and astronomy
- Give you hands-on experience with many classroom-tested labs and activities
- Provide tools to meet Physical Sciences and Earth/Space Sciences NGSS Standards
- Take you to cutting-edge research labs at LLNL
- Allow you to see and talk to scientists and engineers on the job
- Let you hear directly from lab scientists about their latest research
- Prepare you to do a research internship at LLNL
Workshop 1: This workshop focuses on how spectroscopy and the properties of light are used in fusion and solar science. Participants tour the National Ignition Facility and learn about the latest developments in fusion energy by lab scientists. This is a 3-day workshop.
Workshop 2: This workshop is a crash course in stellar astrophysics, Special Relativity, and gravitation interspersed with classroom-tested hands-on labs and activities. Each day includes either a lab tour or a talk by a lab scientist. Sometimes both! Tours include the Gamma-ray Spectrometer lab, Center for Advanced Mass Spectroscopy, Electron Beam Ion Trap, and Jupiter Laser Facility. This is a 5-day workshop.
Workshop 1: June 20-22, 2018, Time: 8:30am-3:30pm
Workshop 2: June 25-29, 2018, Time: 8:30am-3:30pm